The COVID-19 pandemic has left us with no choice but to lock ourselves at home and maintain social distancing. For students, who don’t have any classes to attend or work on due assignments, this COVID-19 crisis is a perfect opportunity to upgrade some essential skillset.
As a student, you must be having a lot of free time during this Coronavirus lockdown since all the schools and colleges are closed. And even if you are attending online classes, you are still saving a significant amount by not travelling and avoiding social gathering.
In this blog, I’m going to discuss 3 strategies that will help boost several skills that will add value to your career.
Enrol in a digital course
If you want to improve your knowledge and skills in a field of studies, attending a certification course online is one of the effective ways to do it. You must already be aware of such digital courses but could not spare enough time for such courses due to a busy schedule. Well, now you have the chance to do it.
Here are some of the best online platforms where you can enrol for digital courses online:
- Coursera: This platform offers over 4,200 courses in every field one can imagine. Each of the courses is affiliated with a university or an organisation. There are a few free courses here, but typically the individual courses cost somewhere between $29 and $99.
- Skillshare: Skillshare is ideally meant for professionals in creative fields. However, you can also acquire certain creative skills by enrolling in one of its 25,000 courses. Most courses are of high quality, and having a completion certificate of such courses can help you land good jobs in future.
- Codeacademy: If you are a student of computer science, you should boost your programming skills by enrolling in the courses offered by this platform. Unlike other learn-to-code platforms, the instructors in this platform review your code and provide personalised feedback to help you learn better.
- edX: This platform offers around 100 professional certificates programs. In fact, it offers an impressive amount of academic content for free. It also hosts online university-level courses in a variety of disciplines. If you are lucky, you may get your preferred course for free.
- Khan Academy: This is a non-profit organisation, aimed at providing a personalised learning environment for students. This platform offers free online courses on almost every academic discipline. In fact, parents and teachers can also enrol for personalised courses here.
Since most of the courses suggested here are free, you won’t have a problem completing multiple courses throughout the entire period of lockdown.
Work on your time management skill
A majority of the students end up asking for assignment help on the internet because they struggle to manage their time effectively. This time in self-quarantine can be a good opportunity to work on your time management skill. This is something that can not only make you a better student but will also help you in your professional career.
There are certain measures that you can practice to improve your time management skill:
- Create a time table: Most successful people in the world are organised and disciplined. You also need to be organised if you want to do everything in a timely manner. Create a time table, outlining all the works you need to do in the day and allot specific time slot for each task.
- Set small goals: Finishing every task as per the time table in itself is a difficult goal to achieve. However, you should set small goals for each task to finish them on time. For instance, if you are working out, you can set the goal of doing 4 sets of push-ups within 10 minutes.
- Reward yourself on fulfilling a goal: If you are able to fulfil a set of goals, you should reward yourself with your favourite snacks or by watching an episode of your favourite show. This motivates you to finish the tasks on time and adds some fun in the activity.
- Practice: “We all know that practice makes perfect. And the more you practice, the better you get at performing a task. Be it assignment writing, coding a program or drawing a portrait – regular practice allows you to finish the task faster, ensuring better time management.” Says Dr. Pete, writer at Essayassignmenthelp.com.au.
Boost your academic skillset
Enrolling for digital courses can improve your knowledge and skills of a certain subject area. However, you will still require good academic skills to produce quality assignment papers once the lockdown ends and the schools and colleges reopen. Here’s how you can work on your skills to produce impressive assignments:
- Improve your vocabulary: For better writing skills, you need to improve your vocabulary and achieve it by developing the practice of reading. This will also help you have a better understanding of sentence constructions and the use of grammar or punctuation.
- Work on researching skill: For effective research, it is important to know the sources of authentic data. It is recommended to get a membership of the national library. You can access plenty of research material on their online portal. Also, you should make a list of online sources that offer verified information.
- Write better with technique: For writing better quality content, you need to make sure that your writing follows a structured path. Creating an outline before writing an assignment can be helpful. Also, make sure you write shorter paragraphs and use bullet points to keep enough white space.
- Proofread with care: Proofreading of content is essential of academic success. You do need to look for accuracy of spelling, grammar and punctuation. At the same time, it is important to ensure that the information in the content is presented in its finest form.
You can actually do a lot more during this lockdown besides these aforementioned things. You can also work on your alternative skills and widen your job prospects for the future. As you may realise, employers look for people who not only excel at one skill but can also perform a number of other additional responsibilities.
Once the lockdown is over, you will have the edge over your peers if you are able to upgrade your skills effectively. So, use these aforementioned strategies and make the most of this COVID-19 crisis by becoming a better version of yourself.