It is extremely important to understand the meaning and effects of botnet attacks before considering the how to deal with it. The following are five major ways computer users can make their systems more secure and protect themselves again botnet attacks.
- Use properly configured firewalls: fortunately most operating systems come with free and pre-installed firewall software so you do not necessarily have to purchase one. All you need to do is make sure the firewall is switched on.
- Install a reliable anti-virus program on your machine: when it comes to anti-virus programs, you have to either buy one or download a free version on the Web. Any computer user who uses the Internet without a functional anti-virus is like a chicken trying to cross the motorway on its own. While new computers come with expensive trial anti-virus software such as McAfee and Norton, other reliable ones such as, AVG and Avast are available for free.
- Regularly update all software on your computer or network: many applications and operating systems provide regular security updates. Make sure that you configure your system such that these updates are regularly and automatically installed.
- You must neither click on unknown links nor download or install content from unverified sources while surfing the Internet. However, if you must download anything, make sure it is scanned with an anti-spyware and anti-virus program.
- Educate anyone with access to your computer about the risks of malicious attacks and monitor how its use.
Although, hackers are always on the look out for ways to exploit vulnerabilities in systems that are connected to the Internet, taking the above steps will go a long way in ensuring that your computer remains secured against malicious attacks.
Are there other ways apart from the ones mentioned that you feel can help bolster a computer’s security structure?