Last year, Apple CEO Tim Cook made a bold prediction during a conference, stating that tablets would soon overtake PC sales. Back then, Cook said his company’s iPads have ‘cannibalized’ Mac sales, which only means tablets are becoming more popular and handy than the traditional personal computer and laptop. One year later, that prediction might have come closer to reality faster than expected.
According to recent statistics, millions of tablets were sold during the last quarter of 2012. International Data Corp. said 52.5 million tablets were sold during that time, which is 75 percent higher than a year ago. On the other hand, while the PCs still sold more than 89.8 million units, it marked a 6.4 percent slide from the past year.
It might be premature to say this, but tablets are really beginning to steal the throne not just from PCs, but from smartphones as well in their respective niches. This year, more manufacturers are optimistic that tablets will outsell PCs for the first time in history, and below are six reasons why:
- Tablets offer telephony features – Unlike its prototype released a few years back, tablets now offer several phone services – a great addition to its already impressive repertoire of functions.
- These gadgets are way cheaper than PCs – This is mainly due to their size. Still, the affordability of tablets does not mean they are low quality. In fact, in some situations, tablets perform better than the performance beasts – the smartphones.
- It enables users to enjoy its functions while on-the-go – In this age where mobility is everything, devices which can be used almost everywhere will be more favored than those which are a burden to use under such circumstances.
- Tablets receive software and function updates more often – Whether your tablet is on android or iOS, it would surely receive an update faster than a laptop or PC powered by Windows. This means it would always be able to address bugs much faster.
- Tablets can be used in more ways than traditional computers – Aside from processing and telephony, tablets can now be used for HD video viewing, taking camera shots, gaming, etc. Aside from taking low resolution camera shots, laptops cannot perform as efficiently as the tablet.
- Using a tablet these days is becoming hip for young professionals – Nowadays, a large number of professionals fall within the 20-40 age group. This group is obviously the target of tablets manufactured today.
As you can see, the tablet has managed to continue its rise from a device formerly laughed at, to a gadget that many are aspiring to get. This change didn’t take overnight, and several tweaks have brought the tablet to its current position.
Indeed, the PC has served humanity well over the decades. And even in this highly advanced generation, it still has something left up its sleeve which would provide practical and efficient help to computer users. However, no one can deny the fact that its luster and popularity has significantly dwindled, and this year we will see how it loses the competition.