For every website that exists on the internet there needs to be a host, which supports your website and allows it to be accessed all around the world. VPS web hosting stands for virtual private server and is one of the newer types of hosting services that is quickly gaining popularity. Many people are familiar with the older types of hosting which include shared hosting (where many websites share the same server) and dedicated hosting (where the web site leases the entire server and doesn’t share with anyone else). In fact, VPS web hosting is a hybrid of these two systems, offering a high-performance web hosting solution at a much lower cost.
What Is VPS Web Hosting?
There are both physical servers and virtual servers. A virtual server is partitioned so that it has its own disc space, operating system, and importantly bandwidth. What this means is that the user of a virtual server has a lot more space and bandwidth than a shared server user, and for all intents and purposes it feels and functions as if they have their very own private server.
Although it is part of a larger physical server, it functions as a private server, which is perfect for those websites who need a halfway point between a shared and dedicated server at the moment, but may wish to ‘graduate’ to a dedicated server in the future.
Do I Need VPS Web Hosting?
If you are running a business website of a small to medium size, or an e-commerce venture, or a large personal website, virtual private server hosting is the perfect solution for you. A virtual private server offers the functionality and privacy of a private server, with you being in control over the whole server, while being much lower in cost than a dedicated server. This makes VPS web hosting a truly cost-effective solution, especially for small to medium size businesses.
Many website builders and businesses can feel wary of diving into the deep end with a dedicated server because of the technical know-how needed and the steep increase in cost involved. A virtual private server is the perfect interim stage, giving increased control and more space and bandwidth, without the hefty price tag. In fact, many small to medium sized business are now choosing VPS web hosting for their website, for the amazing value and convenience they offer.
What Are the Benefits of VPS Web Hosting?
There are many benefits to a virtual private server that make it the right choice for you, whether you are an individual or running a business. The benefits of virtual private server hosting are listed below –
- Although a virtual private server is more expensive than a shared server, the added value is truly worth it. A VPS host is much less expensive using a fully dedicated server with its own physical server, and this much space and bandwidth are unnecessary for many users.
- VPS web hosting is customizable to your needs, so you only ever pay for what you need, and you can skip the rest. This offers a much more cost-effective and streamlined option where you really get what you pay for and the value is excellent.
- Virtual private server plans are adjustable to your needs and scalable over time. This makes them perfect for businesses who are just starting out, who want an economical virtual environment to start with but need the flexibility to scale up to handle increases in traffic once the business takes off. With virtual private server hosting, you can start off with the minimum amount of resources that you need and grow into as many resources as you need down the track. There’s no need to waste money and drain funds from your business before you’ve even started.
- Virtual private servers give you more control over your server than you do with shared hosting. Of course, with shared hosting you have to share your space with other website and webmasters, so you will never have total control. In the context of the virtual private server, you will likely have root access and the ability to use scripts which allow more customization of your server, which you are usually not allowed with shared hosting.
- The beauty of the virtual private server is that you are not completely on your own when it comes to issues and troubleshooting. You have the same technical support as with shared hosting.
- There’s also the option of semi-managed hosting where the web host handles some maintenance and fully managed services.
With all these benefits of virtual private server hosting, it’s clear that they are a great option for service, as well as cost effectiveness. You are also recommended to read the reviews before choose any web hosting service provider. You may find many web hosting review websites in Google search such as HostingReviewBox.com to compare the service options.