Any business that is successful will need to continuously improve its systems. One of the areas that have to be considered is speeding up of labor. When labor is sped up, the overall business process will run efficiently and profitably. At the same time, competitors will be less of a threat to the business. There are several areas that have to be looked into if a business is to speed up its labor.
Developing an efficient shipping system
Today international trade is possible due to efficient shipping systems for services and goods across the world. Making you systems for shipping efficient will increase profits for your business. There are some tips that can be used to create efficient shipping systems. They are:
- Research and identify your sales cycle – Being aware of when peaks occur will allow you to be prepared by having more supplies in inventory and staff on hand.
- Labeling – Effective labeling will assist your old employees knock out orders quickly and your new employees will find inventory faster.
- Standardize packaging – Efficiency is increased when products are standardized because each product will be shipped exactly like every other.
- Update shipping software – Updating software often allows news systems to be used simultaneously with EMP and ERP systems to create one synchronized and cohesive program.
- Location – Setting up your shipping department in a central location prevents problems such as shipments being sent to the wrong docs and communication problems between employees.
Streamlining the business process
An ad hoc basis is commonly used to develop business process management. There is an effective system that can be used to make a positive change in the business process:
- Defining a single work process – It should be a repetitive, finite procedure with specific start, middle and end.
- Break down the process – The BPM should be broken down into many discrete steps. The more granular the steps are the better.
- Request input – Input from people in the work-flow chain should be requested. Their opinions on efficiency improvement are crucial. For example, two administrative assistants may state that time is wasted shuffling a document back and forth because the process is not electronic.
- Implement work flow improvements – To implement work flow improvements, you need to consider things like computerized automation and improving the human resource department.
Repeat the process beginning from the first step for each work flow matter you wish to address. Ask employees for their suggestions about proposed changes. Even if you fail to make a work flow move faster, replacing a difficult and tedious process with something that is more engaging will still be a plus for the business.
Majority of business owners believe that well paid employees will always perform well. Though this is mostly true, it is not necessarily effective. Employees who are present in the trenches and frontline know their jobs better than the rest. The best employees are those that have been with the business for a long time. These employees know the decisions and processes inside out.
Determine the areas where managers and supervisors are involved in the daily operations of the business. These are the areas that will get the most benefit from employee empowerment. Keep in mind that each time an interaction/decision is taken out of the work-flow, there is improvement in efficiency. Employee empowerment has been found to be one of the best ways to speed up the labor of a business.
B2B with partners, suppliers and customers
B2B, business to business, communications have a great impact. It goes way beyond being in the possession of a storefront on your website. The ability to automatically share electronic information determines which businesses struggle to keep afloat and which ones thrive. There are many benefits that can be seen with business to business communications between clients, suppliers and partners. They include:
- Reduction in lead times
- Improved cash flow
- Capital savings
- Reduced inventory
- Increased sales
- Better customer service