The gunky drainage system is a nightmare for your heavenly abode. Let us safeguard our house from the leakage in case of accidental clogged drains. There are many possible reasons associated with the blockage and damage to our drainage systems. We must be well aware of warning signs which tell us that our drains are blocked and require special attention. Delay in water drainage from the sink in the bathroom, unpleasant odour transmits a red alert for a choked drainage system in the household. Let us discuss some important tips to avoid such messy situations.
What to do to unblock drains
- The bent Wire Hanger: This handy but effective tool can be made effortlessly at home. For this, you will require regular wire or coat hanger and then straighten it out. The idea is to take the things out of the clogged drains instead of pushing them further away. After giving a good prick flush the slimy drains to hot water so that no residue is left behind.
- Baking soda and Vinegar: Mixture of baking soda and vinegar when poured into the drain could easily remove junk, hair, and grime, which has over time formed the inner layer inside the pipe and has caused serious blockage in the pathway of water. After pouring the mixture keep it for an hour and then flush it out with hot water. A sparkling clean duct line is all yours now!
- Boiled Water: Usage of boiled water is the simplest trick you can follow to get rid of clogged drains. For the procedure heat the water first and then pour it into the drain in several steps or intervals. This might clear the clog very easily and it is one of the most advantageous techniques to clear up the clogging.
- Wet and Dry Vacuum: The wet and dry vacuum could also be a very effective technique to clear clogged drains. This technique might not be as effective as others, but it is worth giving a shot.
- Plunger: A plunger could clear blocked drains just as it clears up clogged toilet. Plunging is useful for solid blockages but when things are greasy or mineral deposits then this might not be an effective tool.
- Caustic Cleaner: Such type of cleaners can be easily purchased at a local shop and is worth giving a try. These chemicals can dissolve anything including grease, hair, food and other common elements that cause a blockage. One must use such cleaners with utmost caution as this may cause a severe burn to your skin.
- Hydro-Jet: It is a powerful mechanism for steam of water through pipes. The water through this pipe comes out with a great force so that any blockage in its way would move further and clear the blockage away. Though one could attempt to do this on their own but taking help of professionals is advisable.
- Excavation: In the most extreme of cases the drainage our pipes need to be changed. A plumber could easily identify the fault and fix the problem in one go.
These are certainly useful tips one should follow when their drains get blocked. But as the saying goes “prevention is better than cure”, one must maintain hygiene and cleanliness by try hard to avoid blockages by doing little things such as not throwing food leftovers in the sink. One must empty their leftover fat and grease in a container and then dispose of it. Coffee also clogs the drains, so does egg shells and other absorbents. Therefore, avoid disposing of even such things directly into the sink.