Free hosting services are prevalent all over the internet. In fact, the first searches most companies do when they look for a hostmaster are on the free hosting services. The reason for that is not difficult to fathom. Why would you want to pay for something which can be acquired for free? However, what most of us do not realise is that a free hosting service is actually detrimental to a company or a website owner. So what are the reasons why you should never trust a free hostmaster?
- The domain name provided is not unique – The first promise made by a free hosting service is that you can get a domain completely in your name. This is the biggest false promise made. The fact of the matter is that all unique domain names have to be registered and paid for. When you go for a free hosting service, the service has already paid for its domain name. So when you apply for a domain name, it is not a unique name. What the hostmaster does is that they will add your domain name to their unique domain name. Hence it becomes a unique ‘sub domain’ and not a unique ‘domain’
- The design of the domain will be completely unique - The second promise made by a free hosting service is that your domain will be unique in design. This is again completely wrong. All free hosting websites have a number of pre-approved designs. Their designers create a database of over 100 designs which can be used by you. This only means that the choice is much higher. However, it does not mean that your website will be unique. There will be always someone who is using the same design for their website.
- Your website will run smoothly and without any issues – This promise comes with a rider which no one knows about. The operation of a website will depend on the components of the website. Most people try to add a number of different components to their free website. However, this actually impacts the operation of the website. Also, the hostmaster does not provide any updates to your website. Hence, the components added are never updated and you may face issues in meeting your goals.
- The space and bandwidth provided is the best in the business - How many times have we seen a free domain hosting site promise this? However, this also comes with a huge rider. Since you are not a paid customer, you will actually be allocated a very small amount of space for your website. The space and the bandwidth allocated are enough just to run a basic website. This is around one percent of the actual server resources available.
- You can operate your business with ease without any issues – To run a successful e-commerce website you need three things - a unique domain, a large amount of space and a large bandwidth. We have already seen that a free hostmaster (which is the same in every language, even in Danish – for example “Hostmaster UnoEuro“) does not offer you any of the three options. You will find it difficult to launch your business from a free domain as clients will not take you seriously.
What has been your experience with a free domain service? Please leave your comments and tell us.