There are several reasons why a computer might lose Internet connection but this article will focus on the most common issues relating to this problem and how to find a solution. Sometimes even using well-known cable’ such as time warner cable might not be enough to safeguard your machine. Imagine trying to apply for a job on deadline day and all of a sudden you get a “this page cannot be displayed” error message, what would you do? The following tips could be handy.
- Check your telephone line to make sure it has not been disconnected.
- Take a look at the telephone broadband filter to ensure it is still in good condition. Replace with a spare filter, if necessary.
- Confirm that there are no loose connections by inspecting the cables and wires.
- Ensure the wireless router’s Internet light is green and not red otherwise switch off the router and restart after two minutes.
- If the problem persists, click the “reset” button on your router.
- Open a new browser window and enter “192.168.1.1” (the router IP address can vary from one ISP to the other) to view the router’s homepage.
- Enter the password to view the status page of the router.
- Confirm your user-name and password to save settings.
- Ensure that wireless connection is enabled.
- Set security settings to WEP, WPA or none.
- Enter new wireless password or paraphrase.
- Verify Internet connection is up and running again.
- Take me to dinner 🙂
Please remember that the user-name and password provided by your Internet provider are very important and must be kept secure at all times. However, if you cannot remember either or both your user-name and password, contact your ISP customer helpline. They can tell you the user-name and reset your password after you have correctly answered a couple of security questions.