Trading the stock market can seem like the dream 21st Century career. The chance to do something that you enjoy, to work in a career that you will get great satisfaction from and escape the grind of working for someone else, makes it very tempting to many. It also allows you to do something that is exciting and has the chance of superb financial rewards to help you gain financial freedom.
The great thing about trading stocks and shares in the 21st Century is that it is open to anyone who has a little capital to get started. It is no longer just the preserve of big-name investors, bankers or hedge-fund managers. If you have a computer, an internet connection, and the right knowledge, you can reap all the benefits that trading can bring.
However, the chances are that when you first begin you may find it all overwhelming or not know how to start your trading journey. That is perfectly natural and can be overcome by knowing what it takes to become a successful trader and taking the appropriate steps to reach that goal.
Tips on becoming a successful 21st century trader
Being a successful trader is a little like running a marathon or competing in the Tour de France – you can’t just jump in with no prior training or knowledge and expect to win! However, if you take a patient and steady approach to building your trading knowledge, then success will come.
Here are some great tips to help you begin your trading journey:
- Knowledge is power – to become a successful 21st Century trader, you need to learn all you can about the global stock exchanges and how they work. What affects them and the companies that are listed on them? What does all the terminology mean and how does one stock exchange affect another? How does the whole investment sector in shares work, and what strategy do you need to pick out shares to buy? This is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the basic knowledge you need to acquire before you start investing. Read all that you can, get involved in online forums and check out video sharing sites like YouTube for extra information.
- Get the latest news and analysis – share trading analysis is a key part of being an awesome trader. By having access to the latest news and analysis that will affect the shares you own, you can then, if necessary, act to protect your investment portfolio. News has a massive impact on share prices, so you need to have a way of keeping on top of the most important announcements each day.
- Be patient – there is an old saying that goes, ‘Winners never quit, and quitters never win’. That is true in relation to becoming a successful share trader. If you get discouraged and give up after a couple of losing trades, then you will never make it in the long run. Of course, you should be constantly evaluating what went wrong and improving when you lose money, but never just give up. Stock trading is a long-term game that you need to have some patience around to win.
- Choose a style that suits you – broadly speaking there are two major trading styles to follow. One is short-term day trading that sees you buy and sell stocks within a 24-hour period each day. The other is longer term trading where you would buy a stock with the expectation of holding it for a long time, from months to years. The key to success is picking the one that suits you individually as you will then be more likely to follow it correctly and actually enjoy trading.
- Think about when to buy and sell – over the years much research has gone into this and has found some interesting points. When it comes to buying, it is thought that the third week of the month (around the 18th to the 22nd) is best as stock prices are lower then. To sell, it has been advised to wait until the start or end of the month as prices then tend to be higher. That sort of knowledge could be what brings you success.
Trading success is a possibility
For those new to trading in stocks and shares, it may seem a little daunting at first. However, it is perfectly possible to make some money and pursue it as a career with the right approach. Find out all you can about trading and follow the above tips to help you on the way. Before long, you will be an experienced professional who can trade with the best of them!