A Content Management system is essentially a platform that helps manage website content without need to master HTML. In addition to this, it also helps link pages and control how they appear visually on the front end. With the help of a CMS, one is able to easily create, edit and publish content on a website.
With a number of CMS platforms in the likes of WordPress, Drupal, Sitefinity, Magento, etc. to choose from, it is important that you speak with a professional CMS or Magento development company for recommendations. While you are doing so, you will be expected to consider the following criteria-
- Defining the purpose of your content is as important as defining the content itself. Do you want your content to be customized for interaction and forums, or do you want to express yourself through articles and blogs?
- Does your content include text, video, images, audio, PDF, XML, HTML, spreadsheets, etc.?
Should your content be stored in flat files or in databases?
- Is the CMS you are considering an open source project with sufficient community support? Furthermore, how active and helpful is it?
- Since there is rarely a CMS that has exactly what you need, it is important to look at the add-on options it offers with regards to extensions.
Conducting Thorough Research
Ask any reputed Magento Development Company and they will tell you that the key to finding the right CMS is conducting comprehensive research.
- Start by reading as much as you can on the forums of a specific CMS you are considering.
- You can also look up articles and reviews that compare different CMS platforms based on features of various packages.
- You can also refer to CMS ratings that are arrived at based on the feedback provided by other users and developers.
- Also make sure you conduct thorough research on the points of vulnerabilities of the chosen CMS platform. You do not want to pick up a CMS with loose ends and chances of insecurity.
Your requirement with regards to Plug-ins
It is also important for you to figure out the features and functions you would want to use on your site. The following questions can help make a well informed decision-
- Do you want to store all your content in a database or in flat files?
- Will you require an event calendar?
- Will you need an area that allows you to make uploads and downloads?
- Will you need an image gallery?
- Will you need a poll or survey tool?
- Will you require a translation function or a multi-language tool?
- Do you feel the need for a âwhat you see is what you getâ editor for your content?
- How important is security and permission to you?
- How to you intend to sent permission and assign access for your content?
Finally, you also need to determine the base system and add-on features you want to use to provide a visual experience the way you imagine it to be. Most CMS systems will allow you to utilize templates, skins or cascading style sheets to customize the look of your website.
With a clear understanding of your functional and aesthetic requirements, you can select a platform that best satisfies your needs.