For most search engines, a picture is said to be worth more than a thousand words – actually, more like a billion page views a day. While there are so many ways to increase page views and visitors to a Website, the use of images is one that is often overlooked. Following Google’s revamp of its image search facility, taking advantage of the features on offer has never been more important. Although other search engines such as Bing also use enhanced image search functionalities, Google Images is still unrivalled, with over 10 billion pictures on its image databased, compared to around 250 million when it was initially launched in 2001.
The size of Google Images represents the largest image search engine so far and is constantly increasing with all kinds of media. Google realised that for a lot of searches, the best answer could not be found in text but rather in an image or a set of images hence its focus on increasing the quantity, quality and variety of images. In addition to the quality, the visual representation has been designed to be more intuitive and produce faster results which has led to a vast increase in the number of Google Image users.
Why You Should Use Images On Your Site
- Images are now one of the most popular types of content people search for on the Internet.
- Presentation of images on search engines now provide a much easier way to surf the visual Web.
- Google Images can display up to 1000 images per page (in a dense tiled layout) so that users can scroll through them all at once without having to click in and out of pages.
- The use of thumbnail preview, that pops up when a user hovers over a particular image, provides relevant information such as your Website’s address or image details to the search user.
- User-friendliness and interactivity makes image searches more attractive to users.
- The landing page displays a large image in context with the image-hosting Website visible right behind it.
How often do you look for images on search engines?