The transmission is one of the most important components of your car. It is responsible for controlling the transfer of the engine’s power to the drive axle. It enables the driver to use and change gears to control the vehicle’s speed. Whether your mechanic recommends you get a transmission replacement service done or get it rebuilt, you will end up paying big bucks. However, there are pricing differences between getting it replaced completely and simply repairing it. Let’s find out more.
Importance of Fixing the Transmission
Since the transmission is mainly responsible for the vehicle’s power, one should be really alert, as any kind of transmission problem can put the lives of the car’s driver and passengers in danger. Apart from vehicle performance, problems in the transmission can also affect the way the vehicle is handled. It is important to find out what are the causes of transmission problems, when should you opt for a replacement rather than just a repair, symptoms to look for, etc.
Causes of Transmission Problems
One of the major causes of transmission failure is overheating. Generally, in situations such as overloading, driving the car in snowy conditions, pulling a heavy load, etc., the car tends to get overheated. As a result, the transmission’s temperature increases thereby causing the fluids to burn, which in turn affects the lubrication. The negative impact on the lubrication causes the transmission to become hard and prone to leakage, leading to the end result – transmission failure.
Apart from overheating, some of the other causes include rash driving, incorrect fluid type, lack of proper maintenance, problems in the automotive design, etc. Before you decide between transmission repair and replacement, try to find out the cause of your transmission problem.
When should you opt for a Transmission Replacement Service?
Based on the severity of the transmission’s condition, your mechanic may either suggest a replacement or get the existing transmission repaired. Below are some of those conditions wherein a transmission replacement service is better than getting it repaired:
- Cost of the service – Getting the transmission repaired may not be expensive at all times, but there may be situations when the cost of repairing is much higher than that of a transmission replacement service. In such cases, it is best to get the component replaced as it will save you money in the long run and you will also get a new and updated transmission.
- Transmission problems – If you notice that your transmission problems are increasing on repair after the other, then the best option is to opt for a transmission replacement service. Rather than spending big bucks on repairing the transmission each and every time, it is better to invest in a new unit.
- Transmission diagnosis – If you notice that your mechanic is unable to diagnose what the transmission problem is and your car is constantly in the workshop, then you must think of getting the transmission replaced. If it is taking too long to find out the problem and fix it, the next best option is a transmission replacement service. Some problems are hard to diagnose and fix, and in such cases, it is better to get it replaced rather than experimenting.
- Condition of the transmission – If you do not maintain your car well, it can reduce the lifespan of the transmission, which means that the transmission may be on the verge of failure. In such cases, even if you get it repaired, it is highly likely that the transmission will develop further problems. So, it is best to get it completely replaced.
Symptoms of Transmission Failure
There are a couple of ways to identify a problem in your transmission, such as:
- A faulty transmission will result in leakage under the car.
- Performance of the car gets affected, leading to difficulty in changing gears, vibrations, and noise while changing gears, etc.
One of the best ways to prevent any transmission problem is to get your car checked and serviced on a regular basis and opt for a transmission replacement service if required.