Students are the backbone of any nation and their education plays a vital role in shaping the future of the nation. Coming to the education system, along with academic sittings, assignments are also an important part of their academic session for which most of the students get nervous about.
Here in this article, I am going to give you some amazing tricks to improve how to write an assignment which will help you to score better.
- Know the subject better: First of all, before starting the assignment you need to have a brief understanding of the subject you are taking up. For this, you may need to collect sufficient study material which can be offline (like books, magazines etc) or online (like Wikipedia). For e.g. you need to write an assignment on demography, one needs to know what demography means and take the statistics of various demographic conditions around the world
- Plan well in advance: Flow of assignment should be planned well in advance. Enough time and attention should be given to planning because this is what will decide the quality and accuracy of assignment. There are few questions one must answer while planning the assignment:
- What is the aim of giving the assignment?
- What is the main issue to be covered in the assignment?
- What is the extent of the topic and related areas which are to be covered in the assignment?
- Headings to be used: Any assignment will contain various headings and subheadings. The main thing to be kept in mind while assigning headings and subheadings is that it should be as short as possible, and also it should be consistent with the topic and with other headings. Also, appropriate bullets and numbering should be used.
- Information collection: Extensive reading is absolutely necessary to acquire the insight needed and for realizing the extent of the topic. Sources of information should be carefully chosen like a library, a library’s website, Wikipedia and other online and offline sources. Also, sources should be properly evaluated taking a few things into consideration like authority, relevance; it should be latest, availability, a source being primary/secondary, etc.
- Information organization: After collecting and thoroughly studying the information, next step comes to be the organization of information. Information should be organized in a way that flow and consistency of assignment should be maintained.
- Introduction: This is the most important part of an assignment because it will give a brief about the content that is following. It should be wisely written as the reader should get a clear picture of what is coming. Also, it should build a curiosity in the mind of the reader; this can be done by putting a few unanswered questions which will be answered in the later part of an assignment. A number of subsections should logically follow the introduction. While writing an assignment student should keep in mind that he should build a case study very carefully by using information from various sources as evidence. There should not be any gaps in the argument.
- “Think before you ink”: This phrase is in context of language and style that is used in the assignment. To have a language which is clear and unambiguous student can follow simple rules which are given below:
- Construction of sentences should be clear and logical.
- Writing should be clear, natural and focused on the central theme.
- If the source is in some other language, then there should not be a mere translation of that source but it should be done logically and consistently with the rest of the assignment.
- Spelling and grammatical errors turn out to be a blunder, so make sure to use spell check of MS word to eliminate any such errors. This will help to create a good final impression.
- Punctuation and abbreviations should be used with utmost care, as any error here can reverse the whole meaning.
- Bibliography: This refers to the list of sources from where information is gathered. Most of the students here give an extended list other than those which they have referred just to create an impression but it should be noted that professors can easily make out an untrue statement so students are advised to stick to the sources of information which they have actually used. Also, the bibliography should be presented in a proper organized tabular form which is easy to read.
- The finishing touch: Being the final piece of advice that assignment should be presented in an acceptable format as per the requirement. Also, proofreading should be done carefully and it should be neatly and correctly word-processed.