Are you having issues watching a video that has an M4V format? Because the format is an iTunes video file, you may have problems viewing it on other media players, and on different devices.
The easiest way to get around that problem is to convert videos that are in M4V to a format that is more widely supported. On that front the best one that you can choose is MP4, seeing as it can be viewed without any difficulty on any device or platform.
If you want to know some of the ways to convert M4V video – there are a few good options that you could try.
Converting with Online UniConverter
One of the easiest ways to convert your M4V videos to MP4 is to use Online UniConverter. This is a free online converter that will let you conveniently switch the format your videos are in.
To use Online UniConverter and start converting your videos, all you need to do is:
- Open the website at https://www.media.io/ or head over to the specific page to convert M4V to MP4 in your browser.
- Add the M4V video that you want to convert by dragging and dropping the file directly into the area indicated, or clicking on the ‘+’ icon to browse for it. The file may take some time to be uploaded.
- Select ‘MP4’ as the format under the dropdown list.
- Click on the ‘Convert’ button to start the video conversion. It will be added to the queue and you will have to wait for the video to be fully converted.
- Click on the ‘Download’ button to download the MP4 video and save it onto your hard drive.
As you can see the steps involved are fairly straightforward, and you shouldn’t have any trouble converting your videos if you follow them. It should be noted that Online UniConverter does have a 100MB file size limit, however, and can convert a maximum of 2 files in one conversion.
Converting with Desktop WonderShare UniConverter
Although the Online UniConverter is a convenient option, it may not cut it in some cases and you may want a more capable professional video converter. If that is the case you need look no further than the desktop version of WonderShare UniConverter.
The desktop app can run on macOS or Windows and will provide you with lots of advantages. At the same time, it is just as easy to convert videos using it, and you just need to follow these steps:
- Launch the WonderShare UniConverter app on your Mac or PC.
- Add the M4V video that you want to convert by dragging and dropping it into the center of the main window, or clicking on the ‘Add Files’ button towards the upper-left side of the interface.
- Click on the dropdown list on the left beside the ‘Convert all tasks to’ line and select MP4 as the format.
- (Optional) Adjust the video or audio settings in the ‘Video’ or ‘Audio’ tabs.
- (Optional) Edit the videos to trim, crop, apply effects or alter them in other ways by clicking on the icons below the videos you added.
- Click on the ‘Convert All’ button at the lower-right side of the interface to start converting the videos.
- Open the converted videos in the ‘Converted’ tab.
All said and done the UniConverter desktop app is just as straightforward as its online counterpart, and you should have no difficulty converting your video files. If anything you’ll benefit from the fact that it has no limitations, and is faster to boot.
Difference Between Online and Desktop Apps
If you’re wondering which of the two methods listed above should be your first choice, it may help to understand some of the differences between them.
The main differences between Online UniConverter and the WonderShare UniConverter desktop app are:
- Delay when adding files
Just as with any online converter, if you add files to Online UniConverter they need to be uploaded – which will cause a delay. Needless to say, that isn’t an issue with the desktop app, and it has a zero wait time.
- File size limitations
The online converter will only allow you to convert videos that have a file size of 100MB or less. The desktop app has no such limitation however and will let you freely convert videos of any size.
- Batch conversion
If you convert videos using Online UniConverter you can add two videos to be converted at most in a session. In contrast, UniConverter’s desktop app can convert batches of files without any limit.
- Supported formats
The online converter supports most of the popular video formats, including M4V, MP4, WEBM, MKV, MOV, WMV, AVI, and a few others. However, its range does not compare to the desktop app that supports over a thousand formats.
- Conversion speed
When videos are converted online they need to be added to the queue and processed – which can take time. The desktop app has no such delays, and in fact, WonderShare UniConverter is generally about 30 times faster than most other converters.
All in all that should give you a decent idea what to expect, regardless of which option you choose.
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.