Are you using the right beta testing tools for your software? If you’re a mobile app developer, you might know how critical it is to test an application before getting it released to the market. The success of any mobile application depends on how well it performs to consumer’s expectations. If the developed application is not efficient enough to meet customer’s requirement, it’s very likely to replace by other better apps.
The only secret to make your app work flawless and deliver the best quality is by performing “Beta Testing.” It is a crucial stage in the software development lifecycle that refines mobile app quality and improves its user experience by fixing bugs and glitches.
There are different beta distribution tools available for Android and iOS developers. Let’s dive in to understand the critical features of some of the top beta distribution platforms.
If you’re into an iOS development world, you must have heard of TestFlight tool acquired by Apple. It exclusively supports Beta testing on your iOS, watchOS, and tvOS apps before releasing them on the App store.
API & Integrations
Fastlane works very well to automate beta deployments to upload your app to TestFlight. Developers can upload the build, and the testers can install it directly from their device, over the air.
TestFlight is a suitable solution to beta distribution offered by Apple that is free to use.
- You can add up to 10,000 users using their Email address, without creating an enterprise developer account.
- Allows you to set the maximum number of permitted testers for your open beta testing.
- Simultaneously tests unlimited builds of the same app.
- Allows developers to first check the apps internally before sending it out to external testers.
- TestFlight notifies you whenever a new version of this app is available.
- It doesn’t support the Android platform.
- Each build requires approval for beta testing.
- Older builds (Phased releases) are not supported for beta builds.
- Internal testers are restricted to only 25.
HockeyApp, owned by Microsoft, is among the most popular beta distribution services. It lets you manage the lifecycle of your Android, iOS, tvOS, macOS, or Windows apps.
API & Integrations
It offers an extensive range of integrations with the most popular tools used by developers. Moreover, it provides public API to integrate seamlessly with third-party tools of your choice.
HockeyApp offers free to use tier through App Center that you can scale per your need through add-ons.
- It allows you to manage iOS, Android, and Windows from the same tool.
- Approval Process is not needed.
- It supports quick upload of new versions.
- Most robust and reliable crash reporting for beta and App Store version using open-source libraries.
- HockeyApp allows you to communicate with your consumers.
- Testers do not receive Email notifications about new versions.
- It does not support test cases.
To conclude, both the tools has its niche, highlights, and features. Therefore, depending on your application requirement, you may choose beta distribution tools. Choosing the right company developing iPhone Mobile apps and Android Mobile apps helps you to streamline your mobile application development process.
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.