If you’re an Indian citizen, you are probably well aware of how essential and important it is to have an Aadhar card. Without your Aadhar card, you won’t be able to do basic things like open a new bank account, get a new mobile connection and so on. The Aadhar card is a government document that acts as an identity and address proof for an individual. If you haven’t already applied for and received an Aadhar card, you need to do so at the earliest. Applying for your Aadhar card is a simple process. You need to gather documents that act as official address and identity proof and take them to your nearest Aadhar centre. The documents that you can use for this purpose include your bank statements, passport, driving licence, bank statement, electricity bill and PAN card.
Once you have gathered these documents and photocopied them, the photocopies have to be submitted to the Aadhar centre. Unfortunately, the Aadhar application is one that cannot be done online because a biometric profiling step is also involved in the making of the Aadhar card. For the biometric profile, you will be required at the Aadhar centre to give your fingerprint and retina scans. Once these submitted documents are verified and the profiling is done, you will receive your Aadhar card via post.
Who is Eligible for the Aadhar Card?
In order to be eligible to get an Aadhar card, you need to be an Indian citizen. Indian citizens of any age, gender and religion can apply for and receive their Aadhar card. Even senior citizens, adults, infants and children are eligible for an Aadhar card. The applications process for the Aadhar card remains the same for every individual, however, in the case of infants or children, the parents or guardians will have to make the Aadhar application.
Aadhar Card Validity
The Aadhar card is a document that has lifelong validity. Unlike your passport or licence, the Aadhar card doesn’t have an expiry date and it doesn’t require timely renewals. In the event that there is a change in your personal details (through marriage or change in address and so on), you can get your Aadhar card updated. You will require documentary evidence that supports the change in personal details and photocopies of the marriage licence or change in address documents will have to be submitted to your Aadhar centre for proof.
Why is the Aadhar Card Unique?
The Aadhar card is a unique document for various reasons. Firstly, every Aadhar card has a unique 12 digit code. Secondly, the Aadhar card is unique because it has the biometric profile of the cardholder. Thirdly, the Aadhar card cannot be applied for as a family, every individual has to have his own Aadhar card. Lastly, the Aadhar card cannot be misused by anyone because of the biometric profiling. These features of the Aadhar card make it very unique from any other government documentation or identity proof.
How to Get a Duplicate Aadhar Card
If you have lost your Aadhar card and need to get a duplicate one, you need to navigate to this website and follow the easy steps:
- Log onto the Aadhar portal.
- Depending on whether you want to retrieve the enrolment number of you wish to get the Aadhar number, click on the respective link.
- You will need to fill your personal details (full name, address, mobile number and email address) in the given box. Then you just need to go with “get OTP” button. The OTP will be sent to your registered email address and mobile number.
- Once the OTP arrives you have to fill it in the given box on the Aadhar portal and hit the verify button.
- Once the OTP has been verified you will receive your Aadhar or enrolment number on your mobile and email.
- Then you need to go to the “I have Aadhar / enrolment number” link on the Aadhar portal.
- Here you will need to fill in your details again along with your received Aadhar number.
- Once again you just need to hit on the “get OTP” button. An OTP will be sent to your phone. This OTP needs to be typed into the given box on the Aadhar portal and then you need to hit the verify button. Once the OTP is verified you will receive your Aadhar card in PDF format.
- The password for the PDF Aadhar file is your pin code.
- You can now print out your duplicate eAadhar card.
Where do I Need to Link My Aadhar Card?
The Aadhar card has to be linked to a number bed of places for a number of reasons. Let’s now discuss the various places that you need to link your Aadhar card:
- Your Aadhar card needs to be linked to your existing bank account and also to any new bank account that you may open in the future. This rule has been passed to prevent any fraudulent transactions and banking thefts.
- You will also need to link your Aadhar card to your PAN card for tax-related purposes. This rule was passed by the government with the intention of curbing black money fraud.
- The Aadhar card needs to be linked to your provident fund account, demat account and any other investments that you may make.
- The Aadhar card needs to be linked to your mobile number and also to any new mobile connection that you may apply for.
- You can also link your Aadhar card number to your LPG consumer number to get your LPG subsidy directly transferred into your bank account.
The Aadhar card concept is very similar to that of the social security number concept that is prevalent in the United States. Having an Aadhar card is beneficial for a plethora of reasons and it can help you to get your office work done faster and in a hassle-free way. If you haven’t already got your Aadhar card, you should apply for one at the earliest from your local Aadhar centre.
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.