Dangerous or hazardous substances as per the United Nations standards are anything or any kind of material, in any state, which can cause potential harm to any person, his property any other living organisms or the environment at large. The transportation of such materials is a concern for the society and many standards have been developed to minimize and mitigate such troubles.
These standards have ensured safe transportation of the goods but there is one more aspect to this theory which is left untouched and ignored at times. The dangerous goods containers are another aspect of this safety concern which might seem petty but play a very significant role in such an area. The rules and guidelines of transportation are all meaningless if the containers are not taken care of properly. The containers, which are prone to damage, and risks so cannot ensure safe transportation.
More on Such Containers:
Dangerous goods containers are containers which are designed keeping in mind for the storage of hazardous products. These containers are special and have special and specific features relating to the area of concern. Additional features are designed keeping in mind the needs of the manufactures of dangerous products.
- The materials used to manufacture such components are different and tailor-made to suit the requirement. The material is chosen keeping in mind the reactivity of the products with such materials and also considering other chemical and physical characteristics of the products to be stored.
- They are designed in a manner that they are all in one kind of a container unit.
- The sole purpose of such unit is not just transportation but also storage of products. They are designed in a manner to best suit both the needs.
- The containers should be strong and durable enough.
- Water resistance and weather resistance are among those requirements which cannot be compromised in any manner. Any dangerous goods container must be water resistant so that the material is not spoilt either and gets detreated or degraded or react with moisture. Weather resistance is a criterion which should be there in every material and to a certain extent every container should have some degree of resistance. Some objects might require higher degree of temperature control and for such products the resistivity should be higher than normal.
Look for a Quality Assured and Standard Product
There are various manufacturers of these containers who manufacture such products and some of them are certified by the authorities for their compliance with the set standards. The dangerous goods containers when certified HAZMAT assure the buyer that the quality of the product is not compromised in any manner and the transportation can be undertaken easily and with maximum assurance. These materials are designed keeping in mind the safety standards but can also be used for the storage of other non-hazardous products which are delicate in nature and needs to be transported with care.
There are various classes of hazardous products and all are dealt with in a distinct manner. A container is thus designed in a manner to suit one or more classes of such products.
For example, Class 2 deals with Gas Cylinder Storage,
- Class 3 Dangerous Goods Unit deals with Flammable Liquids
- Class 4 Dangerous Goods Unit deals with Flammable Solids
- Class 5.1 Dangerous Goods Unit deals with Oxidizing Agents
- Class 5.2 Dangerous Goods Unit deals with Organic Peroxides
- Class 6.1 Dangerous Goods Unit deals with Toxic Substances
- Class 8 Dangerous Goods Unit deals with Corrosive Substances
- Class 9 Dangerous Goods Unit deals with Miscellaneous Dangerous Goods
The safety of the workers and people should be the first priority of any individual and the handling of dangerous goods containers safely is just a step towards that security.
Be the FIRST to Know - Join Our Mailing List!
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.