A career in graphic designing can be very fascinating and appealing for its myriad job opportunities and the creativeness. Complimented by high visual impact, the images are utilized for marketing and communication purpose that encompass advertisements, brochures, packaging, logos, books, posters, magazines, computer games, displays, exhibitions, corporate communication, and websites. Graphic designing thus gives a corporate identity and a visual brand to your organization.
The role of a graphic designer is very creative that involves innovative imagination and concepts that arrest the attention of all and meet the client’s objectives. Moreover, the designer requires a strong panache, updated knowledge of the market and the professional approach that meets all deadlines, budgets and time constraints. Graphic designers have a plethora of job opportunities – advertising agencies consultancies, in-house companies, publishing companies, packaging industries and marketing departments are all waiting for you! Furthermore, you can also work as a freelance in the self-employed sector.
Qualifications for Graphic Designing
A plethora of graphic designing qualifications is offered. Training and credentials are a necessity for the industry. A demonstration of qualifications, experience, and essential talents are a must during a job interview. Choose the best that suits your preference and pursue it for a flourishing career in the design industry. Some of the qualifications include:
- A bachelor degree in any subject
- A diploma qualification in graphic designing or digital media
- Qualification in using programs like FreeHand, Photoshop, Quark Xpress, Acrobat, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Painter, FireWorks and Flash and 3D Studio Max
- Deftness in using software package like Adobe Creative Suite and CorelDraw Graphics Suite that is now frequently used in graphic design industry
- Knowledge of drawing and drafting tools such as drawing boards, compasses, protractors, metric templates, rulers other drawing tools and also computer-aided design (CAD)
- Familiarity with codes that are utilized in developing web pages like CSS and HTML, XML and basic web programming scripts.
Skills for Graphic Designing
Intending to work in a renowned Graphic Designing company? Master the essential skills that give you an edge in your career.
- Basic qualifications would include a zest for creativity, imaginative power, communication techniques and problem-solving skills.
- A keen eye for color, form, detailing and strong visual sense
- Good computer skills
- Strong IT skills
- Good drawing skills
- Understanding of contrast, topography, scale and pacing
- Technical expertise and creative ability
- Effective knowledge of photography and printing methods
- Interpersonal skills needed to be a good listener and excellent communicator
- Ability to work in group, finding practical solutions to any problem
- Remaining updated and working with the trends and styles in vogue
- Developing concepts and designs as per requirements
- Proofreading the final output
- Essential business skills, understanding the challenges, meeting the deadlines by managing time, work and budget
There are several renowned Institutes of Technology and private training organizations imparting training in the respective domain. Moreover, numerous seminars, workshops on Graphic Designing are organized that you can attend and master the skills for a successful career.
Job Opportunities in Graphic Designing
There are scores of job openings in graphic design for the aspirants in search of potential offers. The job list includes:
- Graphic Designer: It relates to creating designs like brochures, company logos, posters, leaflets, exhibition graphics, displays used for marketing material. The job requires interacting with illustrators, photographers, printers and copywriters.
- Digital Designer: Designers create an array of designs for websites with their knowledge of digital techniques. They can also work in video production, advertising agencies and animation industries.
- Editorial Designer: Graphic designers can work with newspaper, magazine, book publishing companies creating layouts, designing book covers for promotion and working together with editors, writers, photographers etc.
- Packaging Design: Professionals need to have three-dimensional designing skills for creating attractive designs for packaging, keeping in mind the materials, its environmental impact as well as the recycling process.
- Advertising Designer: In advertising agencies, graphic designers work as creative directors developing innovative concepts for advertising campaigns.
- Logo Designer: Graphic designers can also work as full-time logo designers for several industries offering advertising, marketing and branding services.
- Illustrators: Illustrators can create a short story through two or three-dimensional images, known as illustrations. This makes use of multitude media from pencil to digital formatting.
- Multimedia Developers: The graphic designer can use his talents in sound, motion, and interactivity. The developer can also program, sound edit, image edit, or also compose multimedia.
- Web Designers: This relates to the creation of layouts, pages and graphic works for web pages. It is helpful in developing a website.
- Interface Designer: These are graphical user interface artists who work for software, multimedia, and web development industries.
- Layout Artist: The artist deals with the layout and structure of images. This caters to flyers, brochures, books, CD, posters etc.
Today, designing is an integral part of the professional spectrum that is a perfect blend of unique techniques, aesthetic concepts, vivacity, intense color, and creativity that delivers the best effect attracting the target audience, making businesses more effectual.
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.