Talk about web hosting and people immediately look at the services offered. They pay attention to the space provided, the bandwidth, packages provided and the number of email addresses. However, one aspect that everyone ignores is the operating system used for server hosting. The reason for that is because people assume that the operating system used will automatically be compatible with their blog or website.
However, this is the biggest mistake that can be made. What they do not realize is that there are two very different operating systems used by the service providers. These are the Linux Operating System and the Windows Operating System. So how can a person decide which operating system to use? To answer this question, let us focus on the differences between these two systems when it comes to server hosting.
Let us start with the Linux OS
Linux was the primary operating system used across the world before the advent of Windows. This operating system continues to remain the favorite of designers across the world. The reason is in its DNA. Linux was and will always be an open source operating system. What does this mean when it comes to server hosting?
- Stability - Since it is based on the programming module, Linux is one of the most stable operating systems across the world. What this means is that the servers that use this operating system do not suffer from crashes and blue screens associated with the Windows Operating System.
- Extremely Customizable – Due to the open nature of the operating system, any programmer can customize the coding as per their requirements. Hence, the coding can be changed on the Linux server to be compatible with the existing components of the blog or website.
- Cheaper than Windows - In addition to being open source, it is a completely free operating system. This means that there is no royalty to be paid like in the case of the Windows OS and hence it is much cheaper to use.
Next, let us look at the Windows OS
Ever since Microsoft introduced the Windows Operating System, it has become the primary choice among home and office users. This propagation has led to a number of software being developed to complement the Windows OS. So, what does this mean for server hosting?
- Extremely Simple to Use - Due to the widespread usage across the world, anybody who knows how to operate a computer knows how to use Windows. People need not know any programming to learn how to use Windows. This makes it extremely user friendly.
- Compatible with 99% of Websites and Blogs – The popularity of this operating system means that anybody can operate their website with ease on a Windows based server. They can easily change all the components of their website without causing any harmful impact to the blog or the website.
So how can people decide which operating system to use? According to a research by the Danish “UnoEuro server hosting” provider, it all depends on the platform used to make their websites and blogs. They should check with the server hosting service if the website or blog will face any compatibility issue. What are your thoughts on this matter?
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.