Nowadays, we rely a lot on emails to send and receive messages. Gone are the days that you would have to wait for days for someone to reply or what their reaction would be to your letter. No more sitting and waiting because nearly everyone now has an email address, which is regularly checked for messages, be it important or not. We have to admit that having an email is a big help just as an iPad charging station is to us.
One of the major benefits of having an email address is that it helps us easily send and receive files. As long as your device has an Internet access, you need not worry if you don’t have a USB thumb drive or forgot the password of your cloud account. However, the main concern here is that there have been instances that email accounts have been hacked by not so good people who only want to wreak havoc.
The answer here is to make one’s email address safe and secure all the time. Hackers will always be there and are always on the lookout for opportunities where they can steal data from other people in order to take advantage of the situation. What we can do is to be vigilant at all times and be wary of scams and other instances that may give them access to our personal accounts.
Here are some ways to deter these bad people:
- Make your password as unrelated to you as possible – Having a password is the first line of defense that we have. Most hackers know that people have passwords that are significant to them. So if you make your password unrelated to you, they would have a hard time deciphering it.
- Make sure that your antivirus database is updated – Your antivirus software is only as good as the day that you last updated it. New viruses and malware are introduced everyday so if your database is not updated, then these viruses can easily penetrate your system. You can connect via a thunderbolt cable if you want to copy an updated file.
- Check and scan regularly – Of course, it would be useless if you do not scan your system regularly. This will make sure that your device is virus-free.
- Use an anti-keylogger program – There are free versions of this software so it is better have one so that you can be warned if a keylogger has been installed in your device without your knowledge and consent.
- Changing account details - When you use a public device, then make sure that you make some changes to your accounts. This is a precautionary measure as most hackers attack public devices.
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.