As a newbie blogger we all tend to make the mistake of starting our blogs on a free platform like Blogger or WordPress.org. The problem comes only when we start seeing some form of success from our efforts and then we finally decide to move from free to paid. Many a times in the process we commit blunders like we move a blog from blogger to wordpress platform without knowing about the proper re direction procedure – the 301 re direct and end up having tons of broken links, or we move to a host which is unreliable.
Below I will discuss with you the limits of free web hosting and free web registrars and what will you lose by making them serve you.
1. Free webhosts are Unreliable:
The unreliability of free web hosts and domain registrars is beyond our patience. There is nothing we can so if one day they decide to pluck your site away from their servers. Free web hosts run on a principle that most web masters would start their site and then after a few days abandon them. Their policy is not to provide hosting as they are not making money off it but to invite maximum people for their PPC advertisements. Only that way they can make some money.
When somebody on the other hand starts seriously using the server space allotted to them, the hypothetical tera bytes of free space vanish into thin air.
And one day you see your website hung in space!
The same goes for free domain registrars. Just two days back the .co.cc guys shut down their site and no site sitting on the free domain could be accessed. Just before that they had closed all new user registrations.
I don’t know if the users know this, .co.cc domains are excluded from Google search and are banned on Facebook. Well this is almost the truth for all free domain registrars.
There are no free lunches!!
One of the main beauties when it comes to branded web hosting options is the uptime they provide. Uptime is the total time in a year for which your website remains accessible. Options like Hostgator ensure that the uptime is 99.9%.
But when it comes to free hosting options then the reverse is true. They guarantee an uptime of .01%.
Business when its done on the internet demands a constant online presence and with free hosting you are hurting your business.
These free hosting and domain registrar companies use the oldest software available to save costs.
There is no reason that they provide you, a freebie chaser the best security and also not get paid for it..
Hackers who are on the constant loom out for loopholes would love to exploit the shortcomings in free webhosts and your site may get lost in the eternal abyss of hacker sports.
No customer service:
You will agree with me that 99% of the time you don’t need them but the remaining 1 % of time when you actually do need them and they are not available you would pay anyone anything to get your issue resolved.
That’s the value of good customer service. If and when you need them they should be available or else you would shoot yourself.
But free webhosts would rather shoot themselves than appoint someone to look after you and your needs. Right!
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.