Being addicted to the computer, Internet or indeed any other modern technology device can be quite stressful. Many people today cannot do without using their computer device whether it is a pc, laptop or smart-phone, every single day. More worrying however, particularly for those who are married or engaged, is the fact that it is even more difficult to go on holiday without having an electronic computing device in one’s baggage. When this is the case, there are many excuses that can be given such as the need to check emails or news updates so as not to miss what is going on whether or not you are expecting an urgent message or interesting news report.
Mobile device do not make things any easier either, people do not need to carry heavy desktop computers about any longer just to read messages in their inboxes. It’s all too easy to slip a pocket or handheld device with Wi-Fi capability, spreadsheets and text editors, in their wallets or hand bags. All this does is only increase the variable reinforcement schedule, a psychological principle that relates to the impulse to check messages frequently.
Fortunately, there are ways to stop you or your spouse from becoming addicted to a computing device thereby ruining your vacation. The suggestions are as follows:
- Leave the device at home.
- If you cannot leave it at home, work out a time with your partner when you can use the device, then switch it off.
- Search for holiday destinations that have limited or no network coverage.
- Keep yourself busy at all times by engaging in relaxing activities so as not keep your mind idle.
- If non of the above works, just switch your sim-card from your smart-phone to a normal phone.
I wish you goodluck in your quest for freedom! 🙂
Do you ever get anxious if you haven’t checked your email in a day?
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.