Most bloggers or Webmasters observe that majority of their traffic comes from Google which suggests that their site carries much less weight in other search engines. So then, have you ever wondered why you get fewer visitors from other search engines such as, Yahoo, Ask and Bing? I often wondered as well and after doing some Web-based search, present some of my findings in this article as follows.
- The use of domain extension and IP address location by Google (for example, .co.uk, .in, .fr, .ca and so on) as opposed to the use of singular domain extensions (usually .com) by other search engines.
- Other search engines such as Yahoo do not value blogs in the same way as Google does due to the enormous amount of blogs that feature Google Adsense adverts.
- Google tends to index Web pages faster than other search engines hence it might take longer for sites submitted to for example, site explorer to show up on search result pages.
- Most other search engines place more emphasis on on-page SEO rather than inbound links.
- Yahoo operates a paid directory service for businesses hence more emphasis may be placed on registered Yahoo directory users.
- Yahoo ranks Websites based on keywords in domain name, title and description.
- Directory listings in respectable online directories such as DMOZ and Looksmart as well as the keywords used in the directory structure are usually very highly rated.
Of course, the above list is not exhaustive but by giving them a little more attention, you can be sure to boost your chances of increasing Web traffic from Yahoo, MSN/Bing and other search engines.
What is your top 5 traffic generating search engines?
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.