It has been reported that the world’s Internet connection speed is slowly getting faster. The report, which is compiled quarterly by network giant Akamai, was based on analysis of large amounts of Internet traffic around the world.
Average Internet Speed by Region
- South Korea: 12Mbps
- Hong Kong 9Mbps
- Japan: 7.8Mbps
- Romania 6.3Mbps
- Latvia 6.3Mbps
- Sweden: 6.1Mbps
- Netherlands: 5.9Mbps
- Czech Republic: 5.4Mbps
- Denmark: 5.3Mbps
- Switzerland 5.2Mbps
Summary of Report
- Average global Internet speed: 1.7Mbps
- Fastest broadband city: Masan, South Korea
- Average Internet speed in UK: 3.8Mbps (27th/201 countries)
- Asia dominates the list of fastest cities with over half of the top cities in Japan while only 12 US cities made the list.
- All top 20 cities were either in Japan or South Korea, apart from Umea, in Sweden which ranked 18th (No UK city made the top 100 list).
The report also considered how mobile networks cope with increasing demand for data on mobile devices and fount 83 out of 109 mobile service providers offered speeds greater than 2Mbps, 33 achieved more than 5Mbps and 6 reached over 10Mbps. The global mobile average ranged from 105Kbps to 7.2Mbps (both measured on Slovakian providers). Finally, the report considered where most attack traffic such as, spam and phishing, originated from with Russia claiming the top position with 12% of such traffic.
Did you observe any notable surprises in the report?
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.